Friday, November 23, 2012

Rosie's Walk Craft

Younger Toad loves Rosie's Walk.  He loves slapstick humor and giggles his little head off when you read it to him.  I thought he'd enjoy a project using Rosie's Walk and our chickens.




The booklet itself is construction paper cut to 9" X 11".  The square section not cut away is 2" X 2".  You leave the 2" X 2" tab at the top left and with each succeeding page, move the tab over 2"I should have done 8.5" X 11" because 1" was too big for the margin.  You can see there's some blank bit at the top right corner instead of being smooth below the last tab.  Dinah Zike's books are great for learning how to make these interesting projects.

I found some leaf foam stickers and large fall foam decorations at the dollar store that we used to decorate our story.  I even had some small fox stickers that all got stuck to the same page.







Toad told the story:

Rusty walked into a wheeler [that's the name he gave our chicken palace.  I did a post about that here].  

Then she was trapped.

Mama ate Rusty.  

I don't eat chicken so I thought this was a pretty funny story.  Older Toad came home from Nature camp and liked his brother's work so much he got himself out some paper and decorated his own story with the materials.  He even called it 'Mama eats Rusty'.  I'm not sure what they're trying to tell me.





If you don't have your own chicken spokesmodels, I've attached the sheet of ours I worked up.  I printed them out on  full sheet sticker paper.  The down side of that is you'll have to help the kids peel the backing off, it's a bit tricky for anyone.  You could always print them on regular paper and use a glue stick after trimming.   Toad did not like that I stuck the chicken stickers to the top tabs  -  just passing on that feedback.Rosies Walk Sheet




9 comments:

Anne Birdsong said...

Hi, I’m Anne from Life on the Funny Farm (http://annesfunnyfarm.blogspot.com), and I’m visiting from Fresh Eggs Daily.

Aww, this is so cute. Looks like it was a lot of fun to make, and it came out just adorable.

Anyway, thanks for posting this. If you’ve never visited yet, I hope you can pop by my blog sometime to say hi…

momandkiddo said...

Rosie's walk is one of my favorite toddler books!

toady mama said...

Thanks ladies!

maggy, red ted art said...

Oh we do love the book. It is really fun. Lovely craft.

Thanks for sharing on Kids Get Crafty!

Maggy

Andie Jaye said...

this is the cutest thing!! thanks so much for linking up to tip-toe thru tuesday!

Thaleia said...

I haven't see Rosie's Walk since I
was a Student teacher! We had lots of fun in November during NO Worksheet November.

Carrie said...

Oh, how fun!! Thank you for sharing at Sharing Saturday!

Charlene@APinchofJoy said...

Adorable! Love kids story telling -- you never know what direction they will go! Thanks so much for linking on Busy Monday!

Amy @ Hope Is the Word said...

What a great activity to pair with a great book!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...